Contributors

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Finally! The Monster Review

Monster By: A. Lee Martinez
This book grabbed me right away. It's about a person named Monster who catches magical creatures for a pest control agency. The way Martinez explains the magic system is very clever. It seeming almost limitless, but also being very complicated and difficult to remember. As a result Monster must carry a magic dictionary everywhere he goes. This book is clever, funny, and engaging for almost anyone.

The thing that make this book so unique is it's ability to make even the most extraordinary mundane. The bureaucratic manner of both the pest control agency and the Arcane Commission adds a sense that even though this is a fantasy world, the people are still dealing with every day problems. This is a theme that returns throughout the book.

Thankfully, the complaints I've heard of this book are few, but this one is worth addressing. Some said the villain was added only because the book needed one. I couldn't disagree with this statement more. Certain very important events couldn't have happened without the villain being there. I thought the villain was wonderfully portrayed and not at all useless to the plot.

Other than that, the book seemed wonderfully received.I think I might even read it again, if I run out of books to read. And I NEVER do that! I loved it, the public seems to love it, and if you give it a try, I'm sure you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment