Contributors

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Entwined by Heather Dixon Complete Review

Book:  Entwined by Heather Dixon


Acquired: Walden Books

Retail Price: $17.99

Sale Price: $10.79

Number of Pages: 472

Synopsis: Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her...beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing...it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the  palace. And so he extends an invitation.

Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.

But there is a cost.

The Keeper likes to keep things.

Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.

"Entwined is a riveting read--a delectable fairy tale with everything a good story should have: breathtaking magic; a rich beautiful setting; and, of course, dancing!"
--APRILYNNE PIKE, nationally best-selling author of
Wings


"Graceful and enthralling...a fully original world, brimming with romance, enchantment, even a healthy does of humor."
--EDITH PATTOU, author of the acclaimed East

"Fresh and lively... A thoroughly enjoyable read."
--ELIZABETH C. BUNCE, author of William C. Morris Award winner A Curse Dark as Gold

Summary: Entwined mostly takes place after the death of the Queen and mother of Azalea and her eleven younger sisters. Azalea and her sisters must enter mourning where all the windows are draped stifling every bit of light, the clothes dyed black, confinement is to the palace walls, and, worst of all, there are no balls and no dancing. Azalea is also forced out of royal duty to meet visiting suitors who are pinning more for the crown than for her, since she is the Princess Royal and will someday inherit the thrown.

After mistakenly finding a secret passage way, the princesses fancy themselves in a fairy world made of silver and pearls, guarded by a man named Keeper. Keeper invites the little princesses to return every night to dance as much as they wish where the King may never find them. But trouble, ensues when Azalea finds Mr. Keeper seems to not be everything he says himself to be.

With the help of her eleven little sisters and a few people along the way, can Azalea discover the truth behind the Keeper and the stories that haunt the castle of the Evil High King's Oath from so many centuries ago?


Stars:★★

Review: I initially picked up this book because it was such nice eye candy. The cover is exquisite. I figured I'd at least check to see what the book was about. The sad part is, I wasn't even shopping for myself. No I was shopping for Sean's birthday present, but once I get into a book store good luck dragging me out without a book for me to begin reading immediately. Sometimes I can be quite impossible. After reading the inside cover I decided, "What the heck, one more book wont break the bank." After the end of my purchase, Entwined happened to be the least expensive book I bought. The second I got home, I began reading and was hooked instantly. I bought this book 48 hours ago, almost exactly. I haven't read as shraight through as I have wanted, because of work and what-not. I was truly captivated by this story. It reminded me so much of a classic fairy tale. The magical scenes are breathtaking and leave you dreaming of the princesses little world beyond the palace.

Azalea is easily related to and all of her younger sisters, so different from each other combine for a beautiful dynamic. Their sisterly bond and love for each other is truly inspirational and their passion for dance will make anyone smile. I especially love Clover, the third eldest of the twelve children. She's shy and enough care for the entire world, but deep down has the determination that can equal an entire army in the end. Each sister's personality is completely intriguing and they always seem to fit right in with each other like puzzle pieces.

The only real annoyance with this book was the abbreviations for Royal Business being R.B. and what I'm assuming is Member of Parliament as "M. P.". I'm not entirely sure why these are placed through out the book, but I find them very distracting sometimes, disrupting the flow of the book.

It's been quite sometime where I have read a book I loved so much that it consumes my life. I truly flew through this book and the second I put down the book I opened up the laptop to begin writing my review. I loved it and I do feel that it is worth 5 stars. The concept is different and fairy tale like. It's uplifting, but still holds enough darkness that you may dream about it at night. It looks like a long read, but is easy enough where most people could read it casually in free time between classes or on the beach this summer. I warn you though, once you pick it up you may not want to put it down.



A quote that sums the book quite well:
"How daintily the butterfly
Flits to the spider's lace
Entranced by glimm'ring silver strings
Entwined with glist'ning grace.

How craftily the spider speaks
And whispers, "All is well,"
Caresses it with poisn'd feet
And sucks it to a shell."

Well, until next time, happy reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment